Note: if the stupid poll remains broken, this is what it is:
Define the word, "Hipster."
Comment with answer as needed
I was described as this yesterday. I don't think I have a good idea what it means to the populous at lrage... which in this forum means "a small, non-representative sample of freaks and geeks." :) The only, and I realy mean only, association I have with the word is thick, plastic glasses. For like the three of you that know him, hotbeatz is sort of what I think of as the hipster look.
Urban Dictionary has a few definitions:
1. Any kind of person most likely aged under...oh 35, who participate in some kind of youth subcultural urban clique; from punk, to indie rocker, goth, straight edge, metalhead, hip-hop, etc. They are fairly likely to know a great deal about their own world and very little about anyone else's.
2. A grand tradition of respected pop-cultural icons, from Oscar Wilde to Charles Bukowski to Andy Warhol to the Vice Magazine founders, who despite their influence, really kind of suck.
3. Throngs upon throngs of urban centric teengers and twenty-somethings who congregate in the "hip" neighborhoods of a town and all dress disturbing alike. They try to one step ahead of trends in clothes and music, seeking out vintage fashion and independant bands.
- Their shortcomings include:
- most-likely an upper/middle class upbringing
- general snobbery (or social-ineptitude mistaken for it) towards not only those not "with it" but also an unfamiliar hipster
- a disposition of only liking things not totally excepted by the mainstream
- bad haircuts.
- Their exceptional qualities:
- despite what some detractors might assume, they are one of the more racially inclusive scenes in an urban setting
- they aren't too picky about beer
- if you need one of them to give an opinion when shopping for clothes or records, they will be invaluable...provided they don't scoff at you first
- that band you love never would have gotten anywhere if the hipsters weren't into them first.
1. "Walking down Broadway in Seattle, you sure do see a lot of young hipsters tooling about."
2. "In Kerouac's 'On the Road', he paints a decent portrait of how the hipster lifestyle of the 1940's run aground with the American Dream."
3. "Ugh...there are too many hipsters at that party. Let's not go. All those girls are terrible in bed."
Someone who thinks that they are being "special" and "unique" for liking some underground bullshit no one else cares about. And they pointlessly look down on people who don't know anything about indie culture, because that's the only thing they know anything about. They're quick to call the rest of the world conformists when in reality, they are the ones conforming by partaking in a "too cool for mainstream so i am going to reject it by looking and acting like a grungy asshole" way of life only to seem uber-fashionable. They just end up looking like idiots.
Hipster: I won't drink at starbucks, it's too corporate.
Non-Hipster: I want a Louis Vitton purse because they are cool.
Hipster: You're such a conformist, haveing a Louis Vitton purse is so unoriginal. I like my purse I found in the gutter for $4 dollars.
Non-hipster: But it's fugly.
Hipster: Yah, but no one else has it. It's completely unique.
Non-hipster: That bum over there has something pretty similar though.
Hipster: You're ignorant because you can't see the real beauty in life.
I don't have time for this, I'm gonna go to my cave of an apartment and listen to some indie rock you've probably never heard of....
Non hipster: You need to see a therapist.
Hipster: I am my own therapist.
While some of definition 10 rings true, I don't see it. Maybe I just dress like such a sect but like main stream media too much. :)
Edit: Sorry, the poll broke for some reason. Had to repost.
Create your Hipster Name
Enter your last name into the following generator:
Band Name generator
Viola! You're own set of Hipster names!
Post this to your favorite _sterno_ blog so everyone knows about!
Also, make your own Hipster PDA.
To justphoenix - 'Burbs Rule!